Lobster & Grits Recipe. So good it will make you slap your granny!
Ok, so it didn’t win a major Chef Ramsay style award, but our Lobster & Grits did win our local 2016 Bugfest Cooking Competition award in Lauderdale By The Sea. I have participated in this lobster cooking competition for the 3rd year in a row representing Gold Coast Scuba. My co-chefs were Cindy Gaudette and Heather Schaefer. Steve Gagas, a co-owner of GCS, put a lot of faith in us for the 3rd time and we didn’t want to let him down. We knew we had to create a unique recipe that met and excelled at all the judging criteria. A few ideas were discussed and prepared. After tasting this dish we were convinced it was a winner. Tweaked to perfection, this is what we came up with. We hope you enjoy our authentic southern style award winning Granny Slappin’ Good Lobster & Grits.
- ¼ lb bacon
- Cook bacon until crisp.
- Remove bacon from pan and place on paper towel to drain.
- Keep some of the bacon drippings for cooking lobster topping.
- ¾ c grits
- 1 ½ c water
- 1 ½ c cream
- 4T butter
- ½ t salt
Cook for 20 minutes, add additional cream/water,
if needed to maintain consistency.
Add ¾ c goat cheese after grits are done.
- 3-4 lobster tails
- 2T butter
- 2T flour
- ¼ c cream
- ¼ teaspoon red flake pepper
- ½ teaspoon old bay
- ½ c shallots
- bacon grease
- Remove lobster from tail and core (no membrane).
- Cut into bite-size pieces.
- In a fry pan, heat bacon grease and butter.
- Add shallots and cook for 3 minutes.
- Mix in red pepper, old bay and flour.
- Add lobster pieces and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add cream and continue cooking until done.
- Scoop grits into a bowl, top with lobster mixture then bacon bits.